Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Diaphragmatic Hernia

On one of those many Tuesday ultrasounds Dr. G found the real problem or maybe I should say one of the real problems. My baby had a diaphragmatic hernia. A WHAT? How bad could a hernia be? Aren't they all fixable? Despite my initial thought this was not good news. This was no regualr run of the mill hernia. So many problems could result.

My baby's heart was on the right side. It was moved by the hernia. His stomach was in his chest and that forced his heart over. Since the lungs are the last thing to grow fully his lungs would not have room to grow. Wow, I was not sure how much more bad news I could take.

I went home and straight to my computer. There was not much about CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia) but I did find one support group called CHERUBS. The group was made up of people that had lost there children to this awful birth defect and to those dealing with the health issues that came with survival. I requested membership by explaining that even though I had not lost my baby yet his survival chance was 1% so I was already grieving.

No comments:

Post a Comment