Thursday, December 10, 2009

To terminate or not to terminate, part I

After the Diaphragmatic Hernia was found I was told my baby would not live. Dr G would not commit to 100%. He said, as a young Doctor he had made that statement once and someone proved him wrong. That was the only reason he would not say 100%.

Miracles do happen!

We knew now my baby did not have fetal hydrops so no one was so sure anymore that I would miscarry any time soon. Dr G told me that under the circumstances I could terminate even though I was way past 12 weeks. I did not say one word. After an awkward silence he said, "no matter what you decide I will be your doctor." At that time I had no idea how powerful those words were.

When you talk to a genetic counselor it's very easy to decide to terminate should your baby have any number of health issues because you are not really in that situation. I had talked about it and decided I would if something was wrong that would affect the quality of life of my baby. Boy was I in for some big shocks.

Never under estimate the power of a Mother's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment