Monday, August 17, 2009

Amnio day

Bright an early I got to the hospital. I was in a pretty good mood. I did not know what was wrong with my baby but I knew HE did not have Turner's syndrome. Turner's only happens in females and I was 100% sure I was having a boy. Turner's is a horrible thing so I was in a good mood.

Before putting me under Dr G checked me and told me he setup an appt for me to see Neurology right afterwards to deal with my never-ending migraine. he was shocked to find I was leaking amniotic fluid, I was not. I explained to him that at my last regular appointment I told the OB that I was leaking and he told me it had to be urine but he never checked me. Dr G was so furious I thought his head was going to blow-up. I was pretty glad he wasn't angry at me and felt sorry for the DR that had not followed up properly.

Dr G was the chief of the clinic but someone else was the director. This was a military hospital so all sorts of rules have to be followed. So Dr. G went to discuss the matter with the director, Dr N to see if we should proceed or not. Under the circumstances they decided to go ahead.

I recall some young Dr's asking if they could do my U/S before the amnio started and if they could stay. It didn't bother me.

I forgot to mention that every time someone did an U/S my baby waved. I was use to it but the interns thought it was so cute. My baby, making them smile from within the womb.

And then I went to sleep.

I woke-up none the wiser. It always feels like you just went under when they start calling your name to wake-up. I really think they should let us sleep longer. :-)

So after some time I went down to Neuro. I was sitting on the table discussing my headache and what they had given me in the ER every night when my water broke. My face registered shock so he asked me what was wrong. Well I'm here to tell you, a man is a man, it does not matter if they are doctors or not. So he reacted like a typical man by freaking out. If he could have beamed me up and out I would have been gone in 1 second but he had to wait for someone to get me out of there. I came by wheelchair so my chariot awaited. I never saw him again.

Back up to OB I went. Dr G admitted me and into a room I went to await the end. Everyone knows once your water breaks you are having a baby that day. The day had started out so promising and now here I was about to lose my baby. Nothing much happened throughout the day but they did take an U/S every hr and every hr we got a wave. He was still there. In the early evening DR G came in and told me two things, one he would get special permission to run a FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridization) test which would come back in 48 hours instead of the 10 days the amnio would take. The second things he said was he would go to the General to ask if they could induce me. His theory was why prolong this for me. Military hospitals will not do an abortion and inducing at 16 weeks was essentially an abortion. I just looked at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment