Monday, August 17, 2009

First Tuesday appointment w/Dr. G

I get there on Tuesday and find out that Tuesday is high risk pregnancy day at the hospital. Dr G is a perinatologist so he specializes in high risk pregnancies. (Perinatologists are obstetricians with a subspecialty of obstetrics/gynecology in maternal-fetal medicine, which deals with high-risk pregnancies and requires additional years of concentrated training in obstetrics.)

We go straight into the ultrasound room. Dr. N meets us there as does another Dr I don't recall. I'll call him Dr X.

Dr G asked me if it was Ok to speak in front of me. Finally a Dr that understood me. I am not an alarmist and I like the plain truth. So they ultrasound, look and talk to themselves. There were theories and disagreements. It was very facinating. I was so caught up in solving the mystery I almost forgot it was my baby and me they were discussing.

At some point Dr N left. Dr G told me he believed it was fetal hydrops but that Dr N did not agree. He explained why he thought it was fetal hydrops. I was told I would most likely miscarry soon. I had the impression it was not possible to carry a baby to term with fetal hydrops.

This was just the beginning of bad news Tuesday's.

No comments:

Post a Comment