Monday, August 17, 2009

The twin

Now is the time to say this started out as a twin pregnancy. There was a fetal pole and then there wasn't on the twin. There were two sacs. I was concerned but the Dr told me the other sac would usually be reabsorbed into my body an the rest of the pregancy would go on normally.

But this is me we are talking about..... that would have been too normal.

Expecting everything to be alright I went on vacation to Portugal thinking it would be the last in a long time. I was about 3 months pregnant but I looked bigger, like I was carrying twins. Portugal was great, I walked a lot and was fine.

I flew back into Houston and drove to San Antonio on a Sunday.

The Spurs were playing at the Alamo dome and I often went to games. A few days after returning from Portugal I went to a game. I was wearing my new cream colored maternity capri's and a long white shirt. It's always a long way from the parking to the front of the dome. Everything was fine unitl I got to the outside area in front of the Alamo dome. All of a sudden I felt something warm go down my legs. I asked my companion to walk away from me and turn around to see if I had anything red looking on my pants as discreetly as possible. It was more like a comedy show but the look on the person's face told me everything I needed to know. I started crying, as any same pregnant woman would have. I thought I was having a miscarriage.

It was a very long walk back to the car and blood was everywhere.

My companion started driving like a maniac so I said, "look I am not having any cramps, no pain at all. At this point if I am having a miscarriage there is nothing that can be done so you are driving like a maniac for no reason and I don't need to be more scared than I already am.

I got to the hospital which was not close, in one piece. I don't really remember getting into the ER. I do recall urinating in a cup and it looked like Hawaiin punch. The DR took one look and got a portable ultrasound machine.

That was the first time my son waved at me and we all laughed.

The twin was gone but his sac had continued to grow (that's why I looked twin pregnant) until the size of my son squeezed it enough for it to bust open. This all happened about 3 weeks before that fateful ultrasound.

I felt like I was grieving all over again for the second baby that would never be. I decided it would have also been a boy and named him. :-) I was remined many months later that if only for a second, he existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment