Monday, August 17, 2009

The day after the amnio

My instructions were to stay in bed and rest. They must have forgotten about the hourly checks. They were suppose to be for heartbeats but when they could not hear it they pulled out the U/S, hence the hourly U/S.

Every time I had to get up to urinate there went all the water the baby had created. But a miracle was happening, the sac was repairing itself. But I didn't know that. I had never heard of someone's water breaking and the pregnancy not terminating. Dr G must have known because he never mentioned inducing me again. I hung out in bed all day. I can't recall what was going through my head but knowing me I was most likely pondering the meaning of life.

"The amniotic fluid surrounds the fetus throughout the pregnancy. The fluid is produced from the amniotic membranes and from fetus' urine. Its function is to protect the baby from temperature changes, trauma and allow it the freedom to move about and stretch. It also keeps the uterine wall expanded so it won't compress the growing fetus and placenta. The fetus swallows, breaths, and digests the amniotic fluid. By the end of the pregnancy there is approximately 1000ml (1 liter) of fluid in the amniotic sac. The fluid is basically clear or a little cloudy in color and is continually being made. If a mother ruptures her membranes early in her pregnancy, the rupture site can seal over with bed rest and a doctor's help, allowing more fluid to accumulate." Compliments of: http://www.pregnancy.org/article/inside-womb-who-are-players

Very late that night Dr. G came in and said, "we got the FISH test back". He confirmed my baby did not have Turner's syndrome because it was a boy. He also told me the trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome) portion was negative. Now we had a puzzle, what was wrong with my baby?

The following day was Saturday and Dr G told me I could go home. I was scared because I was still leaking fluid all the time but it was not the flood I had previously. I was put on bed rest and instructed to return Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment