Saturday, February 1, 2014

The nine day migraine and a spinal tap.

I forgot to write about the nine day migraine.  Every night for nine days I was in the ER with this migraine.  They would keep me there all night and release me at 7 AM.  On one of the those nights the ER doc decided I had to be bleeding in my brain.  He said they had to remove fluid from my spine. Is he kidding, I am the woman who had natural child birth twice because I was afraid of having a needle in my spine.  And my first baby was 36 hrs of hard labor.  For those of you that don't know what that means, it's NO DRUGS just raw pain and a ton of screaming.  And this guy now wants to take fluid out of my spine. I said, "no!" We asked if there was another way.  He said, they could do an U/S but they are not 100% effective and if it showed nothing they still had to take out the fluid.  Of course the U/S showed nothing.  I am guessing there were many tears and my husband pleading with me to do the test. So the test got done.  The ER doc calls the neurosurgeon, who says, he's not impressed and is not coming in to open my head.  We sit in the dark wondering what is going on.  he told us what the neurosurgeon said.  We were not sure what to think.  After some time the commander comes in an apologizes to us, he said the ER doc was wrong.  Well this mostly turned out to be a good thing.  Now that I had that done I was no longer afraid to have an epidural and that was one of the best things that happened to me in hindsight.  The only bad thing to come of that was now I also had a spinal headache.  So now when I stood up I had another headache on top of the migraine. 

This was the headache I had when I first met Dr G.  He was very protective of me from the very beginning and never wanted me to feel physical pain. He called the Anesthesiologist to come fix me.  As I understood it they take my own blood and put it back to fill the area where the fluid was taken from to stop the headache.  It did not work.  DR G got mad at them and called the chief.  He said this works 99% of the time.  I always seem to be in that 1 % so I declined to go through that again. It was not fun having a needle in your spine being fed from the needle in your arm, ugh.

On the ninth day the headache stopped and never returned.  I have always wondered if that was my body's way of telling me something was wrong.  I do not suffer from migraines

No comments:

Post a Comment